My name is Carly and I’m in my second year of the Bachelor of Education program at the University of Victoria. I grew up in Victoria, British Columbia living a very active lifestyle. I played soccer, field hockey, basketball and danced competitively throughout my schooling. After middle school, I chose to focus on my dance and I had to give up playing sports. Today, I am lucky enough to be a dance teacher at the studio I grew up at. I teach ballet, tap and jazz to students aged four to fifteen.

When I was younger, I always looked up to my teachers at school and at dance. I was lucky enough to have teachers that took an interest in my personal life and always pushed me to succeed. My teachers definitely inspired me to go into education. I hope that I will be able to inspire my students by finding ways to help each of them reach their individual goals, both inside and outside of school.

Through my experience teaching dance, I have learned many valuable skills that transfer into a school classroom. I consider myself to be very energetic and I take pride in my ability to interact with children in a way that is both professional and personable. I also feel confident in my ability to maintain control of large groups of children due to my experience from summer camps. Most importantly, I have learned that no matter how much time I spend planning the perfect lesson, it may not work out. I have learned to always be prepared with a back-up plan. With that being said, I think one of my greatest strengths is my ability to think on the spot and adapt my lesson plans on the go.

I don’t have much experience with blogging so this is definitely a brand new experience for me. However, I am excited to learn more about technology and learn strategies that will be useful for technology implementation in a classroom one day.